Rules - Summer 2019
ASA Slow Pitch Softball rules will be in effect with the exception of the following rules listed below.
1. The league's schedule will be posted on the website. Any conflicts or issues with the schedule should be reported to the President for resolution.
1. Each scheduled team is responsible for designating one person to umpire the previous or later game on that day. i.e. If you play at 7:00, each team playing will be responsible for providing umpires to the 6:00 game. If you play at 6:00, each team will be responsible for providing umpires to the 7:00 game.
2. If a team fails to provide an umpire, then that team will start its next game with a 5 run deficit. i.e. 0-5
2. A player must be 14 years or older to play.
3. A player must play in at least one game during the regular season to be eligible for any tournament games.
4. Four (4) females and six (6) males may play the field. A 5-4 alignment of 5 men and 4 women will be allowed when only 9 players are present. A 5-3 alignment of 5 men and 3 women will be allowed when only 8 players are present. When less than 10 players are present, one out will be taken at the end of the batting linup.
5. There is no limit on the number of substitutions.
6. Games may begin if a team has eight (8) players. Teams may not play with
fewer than eight (8) players. The official score of a
forfeited game due to ejection or due to lack of players at
game time shall be recorded as 5-0. In the event that a
team has to forfeit a game due to injury, the official score
shall be recorded as 5-0. In the case of a double forfeit,
the official score shall be recorded as 0-0.
7. Extra Hitter Rule: There may be two extra batters not playing the field (1 female and 1 male). They may bat anywhere in the lineup, but all fielding players must bat in the lineup. There shall not be one extra batter, only two.
8. Steel cleats are NOT allowed.
9. Sliding shall be permitted on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base ONLY.
10. Sliding shall NOT be permitted at home plate. A player may advance toward home plate, but no sliding or running over the player covering home plate. Any player deemed to have ran over, or ducked their shoulder to "take out" the player covering home plate will be immediately ejected and will be subject to a one game suspension. If this happens during the tournament, the player will be ejected from the tournament.
11. A force at home plate will be in effect, if the player advances within 10' (ten feet) of home plate. A player advancing toward home plate, but not within 10', may return to 3rd base.
12. All players are required to sign a "Player Waiver Form" and pay the $10 entry fee at time of the first game.
13. TEAM REQUIREMENTS: At least 50% of players must be from the church of their team.
13. A coin-toss will determine the home and visting team for each game during the season.
14. Men shall use the official 28 inch league bat, for each game. This bat is provided by the league.
15. Each batter will come to the plate with a one (1) ball and one (1) strike count. A batter is only allowed one (1) foul on the 2nd strike. Any other fouls will result in the batter being called out.
16. There will be a limit of 3 homeruns hit by the team. All other home runs after three by any player will be considered an out.
17. There shall be no bunting.
18. The batting order will alternate female and male, or visa versa.
19. When a male batter receives a walk, and if he is proceeded by a female batter, the female batter has a choice to either bat or take an automatic walk. The male batter advances to 2nd base in either scenario. If the male batter is proceeded by another male batter, then he advances to 2nd base.
20. The maximum runs allowed per inning per team is six (6), EXCEPT when a team is losing by more than six runs, they will be allowed to score as many runs as necessary to tie the score, in any inning.
21. Any interference with a defensive player by an offensive player during active play of a game will result in the runner and the batter being called out.
22. Rain-out procedure: The website will post the field conditions after 4:45 PM on game days. If there is no obvious message on the "Home Page", then assume you are playing. The website is the official status for rainout information. Do not call the president for field condition information. If the game is rained-out, the League will reschedule the game.
23. A tie game shall be played until a winner is declared. After seven (7) innings or when time has expired in a tie game, each appropriate batter will come to the plate with a three (3) ball and two (2) strike count. If time has expired in a tie game, the current inning will be completed before going to the three (3) ball and two (2) strike count.
24. Run Rule: Game will end when one team is up by 15 runs after the 4th inning, or 10 runs after the 5th inning.
25. Game is over with 7 innings, or time expired.
25. Each game will have a time limit of 1 hour.
26. If a game is suspended because of weather, it will be considered complete if four (4) innings or forty (40) minutes have been completed. If four (4) innings or forty (40) minutes have not been completed, it will be rescheduled and played in its entirety.
26. Inclement weather: In the event that inclement weather develops during a game, it is the judgment of the umpires whether to suspend a game because of safety reasons, i.e. lighting, high winds, hail, heavy rain, etc.
Protest Procedure (Appeals)
27. The umpires are the sole judgment authority for interpretation of the rules and calls during a game. In the event a team disagrees with a call or outcome, a protest procedure will go into effect following the coach filing a written protest to the League Board. The League Board will then review with the umpires and/or any other requested party to examine the nature of the protest, and will subsequently make a determination and notify the involved teams and/or other pertinent individuals of the ruling.